The TIME has never been more right for policy action to update homes!
In the case of COVID-19, flattening the curve requires sheltering in place.
In the case of aging baby boomers facing high healthcare costs, flattening the curve requires AGING in PLACE. Conventional wisdom that ‘senior housing’ is the safest option is upended. Tax and infrastructure policy are going to be on the table in February 2021. HomesRenewed Coalition will be making the case for policy to increase the number of updated homes.
It is fundamentally unjust to continue medical miracles that add years to lives without also updating homes to live those lives joyfully with dignity. Home updates are the missing link.
“90% want to stay home, but homes are not prepared”
– Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies
House design has not kept pace with longer lives.
Our MISSION is to join forces to significantly increase the number of American homes prepared for residents to live throughout the modern lifespan by promoting consumer incentives on Wall Street, Main Street and Capitol Hill.
What we want changed:
People being forced out of homes or into poverty by a health incident.
- HomesRenewed has a Vision of Affordable Aging that aligns the social determinants of health, wellness, and value-based healthcare.
How change will look:
- People are able to age in place MUCH better — more economically, healthfully and joyfully — because they have updated their homes.
- Business opportunities grow for the home remodeling industry, home care providers and many other stakeholders.
- New, innovative and efficient business models emerge to serve those living in the community — saving costs for individuals, families, and the nation.
How we will change it
A bill in the 115th US Congress, HR1780, provides a tax credit of up to $30,000 for age-friendly home renovations
We have supported this bill which makes home updates a federal issue. We are preparing our strategy to lead the effort in the the 116th congress.
What YOU need to do:
- Join HomesRenewed
- Encourage others to join.
- Grow the grassroots movement about home updates in your community
- Bolster our legislative action
- Contact your representatives in Congress
- Come to DC, network with people who are different from you but share an interest in home updates. Join us to meet with representatives on Capitol Hill
- Make sure your government affairs efforts join our coordinated campaign
- Tell your clients about incentives
- Donate to the HomesRenewed Resource Center our research and education organization
HomesRenewed™ Coalition opens the door to change. Unlike most current policy and funding, HomesRenewed targets the 73% in the Innovation and Opportunity Zone to provide updated homes for middle Americans.
Read More .
Purple Tag Program
Modeled after the success of Energy Star labels, the HomesRenewed Purple Tag will identify products that prepare homes for the modern lifespan. These products and projects will cost less because they qualify for incentives.
Americans need to update their homes to Age in Place
- 90% of older Americans prefer to remain at home even if they need help
- Fewer than 3% of homes have basic accessibility features such as no-step entries, curbless showers, grab bars, lever handles, and better lighting
- Most older households own their homes
- 63% of the $383 billion remodeling industry is spent by consumers over 50
- 83% of US wealth is held by people over 50
- More economical aging in place will help reduce medicare costs